Pain Series – Part 2: Reducing the impact pain can play on your lifeFebruary 16, 2018
Pain Series – Part 4: What can you do to manage pain?March 2, 2018
Part 3 of Physiotherapist Thomas Knight’s Pain Series.
A few things you may not know regarding pain, particularly Low back pain (LBP):
- LBP is a common and normal experience, much like a sprained ankle. 80% of the general population will experience LBP at some point in their life
- Scans will not show the cause of persistent pain. That is not to say that the pain isn’t real but chasing after the pain with an X-ray or scan is not always helpful and can sometimes make the pain worse
- Back pain is not caused by something being out of place
- Bed rest is not helpful
- Exercise is good for you and safe, in fact it’s probably going to be the best thing for you. It also doesn’t matter what exercise you do. As long as you stick with it and enjoy it, the benefits will follow
- Surgery is rarely needed.
- The perfect posture doesn’t exist. The key is to vary your posture so that you are relaxed and comfortable
- Lifting and bending are safe to do
- Avoiding activities and moving carefully does not help in the long run
- Stress, low mood and worry can have a negative effect of pain
- Poor sleep influences pain
- More pain does not mean more damage
- Persistent pain CAN get better
Follow our Facebook page for an informative 4 part series by our physiotherapist Thomas Knight posted weekly beginning the 12th February 2018.
To book an appointment with our physiotherapy team please call one of our friendly reception team at Panaceum Seacrest on 9923 9999 or Panaceum Allied Health on 9920 8151, alternatively book via the appointuit app.