What is it?
A “Care plan” is a name for an appointment and subsequent plan designed to help you manage a chronic disease or condition. The plan is put together with you, your normal Doctor and a practice nurse. For some patients there may be other contributors to your care plan, like a dietician or a physiotherapist and these extra health professionals are called your “care team”.
When Asthma is one of these chronic health conditions, your care team will do some extra planning and monitoring specific to your Asthma and therefore the appointment needs to be booked with a care plan nurse with special training and time for these appointments
What happens in the appointment and how do you prepare?
The appointment is booked in with a care plan nurse when your regular GP is available and it is usually an hour appointment including a spirometry test.
During the appointment your nurse will go through:
- Asthma devise use,
- Asthma first aid,
- How to manager asthma triggers,
- Exercise and asthma management,
- Develop and asthma action plan and provide a copy of this for you to take home.
On the day please:
- Bring your spacer (alternatively you can purchase one at the practice).
- Please bring any paperwork with you that may help to update your records i.e. previous asthma care plan , symptom diaries, discharge summaries etc.
- As we are testing lung function using a spirometer it is important to cease taking asthma medication 24 hours prior to your appointment (unless there is an emergency).
Medicare will only fund Care plans at certain intervals. Your doctor and nurse team will identify how often you need to have a Care plan reviewed. At a maximum interval this would be every 3 months and at a minimum interval this will be every year. You will be sent regular reminders from the practice. If in the future you stop receiving reminders but believe you are still required to have Care plans please call the medical practice.
How to book:
Please phone your medical practice and ask to book at Asthma Care plan, we will check that you are due before we book you in.
All Care plans are bulk billed to Medicare for Medicare card holders.
There is a cost of $12 to cover the consumables used for a spirometry that will need to be paid on the day.
For more information please visit this website: